The Mizzen Heritage Society
List of Members, Directors and Patrons
Members and Board of Directors
John Warren President;
Paulette Cumby, Vice President;
Alice Cumby, Treasurer;
Ed Arnott, Secretary
Directors: Bob Balsom, Georgina Balsom, Paulette Cumby, Keith Hunter, Wendy Hunter, Eileen Matthews, Lloyd Smith, Pat Smith, Howard Tavenor, Jane Tavenor, Betty White, Valerie Worthman.
Directors (for Charitable Status): Georgina Balsom, Harry Balsom, Bob Balsom, William Balsom, Don Blundon, Alice Cumby, Patricia Cumby, Claude Rockwood, Ted Rowe, Dean Williams
Directors (for Incorporated Status): Bob Balsom, Alice Cumby, Claude Rockwood, John Warren, Betty White
Patrons: Wallace Rendell, Art Tavenor, Gord Tavenor, Marie Tavenor, Paula Tavenor, Stella Tavenor, Lori Temple
If you would like to join our group, please send us a note (see contact page). Membership is only $5 per year.
- Acquired the old United Church School (built around 1920) and restored it as a community museum.
- Secured an oral history record of many older citizens.
- Created a photo exhibit called "Heart's Content: A Look Back in Time".
- Acted as a planning partner for Come Home Year 1997.
- Assisted Frank Piercey in reviving and safeguarding the "traditional square dance".
- Established an Archives Room in our Town Hall.
- Partnered with our local Rug Hooking Group to sponsor and exhibit rug hooking displays.
- Partnered with the town to create an observation area lookout.
- We are a partner in the annual Town Fun Days Days.
- Facilitated the creation and installation of town history boards.
- Restored the "Rendell Forge".
- Restored "The House of Commons".
- Partnered with our town to achieve Provincial Historic District designation.
- We organize an annual Heritage Day in July.
- Host monthly coffee houses at the SUF Hall on the first Friday of every month April to December.
- Partnered with the 150th. Anniversary and Come Home Year Committees to plan the 2016 celebrations.
- Partnered with the Historic Sites Association of NL to host the 2016 Heart's Content Cable Conference.
- Acquired the former Heyfield Memorial United Church and restored it as the Heart's Content Regional Centre for the Arts. It held its official "Grand Opening" June 17-18, 2017 (see our "Home" and "News and Events" pages).